Food Review: In-N-Out’s secret menu

April 18, 2019

The+4x4+next+to+the+neopolitan.+

Marc Lopez

The “4×4” next to the neopolitan.

Spencer Batute “4 stars out of 5” 

In-N-Out’s not-so-secret secret neapolitan milkshake is a treat worth tasting. This shake blends together In-N-Out’s three milkshake offerings — vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry — into one, making for a frosty fusion of varied flavors. Being able to sip on the three flavors at once gave my taste buds an interesting ride, avoiding the usual pitfall of taste fatigue that comes when slurping on the same flavor for minutes at a time. While the shake is made from fast-food-grade soft serve, this is where it plays to its strengths; it turns your average ice cream into an easily drinkable, affordable form. The neapolitan will be my go-to choice the next time I crave an old-school milkshake.

Lilly Montero “3 stars out of 5”

There’s nothing revolutionary about In-N-Out’s secret “grilled cheese.” It’s basically a cheeseburger minus the burger, making for a rather bland vegetarian option. You shouldn’t be going to In-N-Out for vegetarian options anyway, but that’s neither here nor there. I was expecting for the grilled cheese to be boring without the burger patty, but I found out that it’s actually the opposite. All of the flavor you think you’re getting from the burger patty you are actually get from the slightly charred bun, cheese and sauce. Basically, if you wanted to have a meatless day, a burger, but were also too lazy to make a grilled cheese at home then In-N-Out’s secret grilled cheese is the order for you. I’m giving this three stars, just because it’s nothing special.

Marc Lopez “4 stars out of 5” 

Taming the beast known as the “4×4” wasn’t the most ideal situation for me. To add more insult to injury, I added the hot peppers inside of my burger. Adding the peppers to my burger will now be a part of my regular orders at In-N-Out, however eating the 4×4 will probably be a once-in-a-blue-moon occurrence. Those eating that large of a burger should come with no expectations other than you eating a ton of meat and a ton of cheese. The peppers weren’t as overpowering as I had expected, leaving the glorious taste of a classic In-N-Out burger intact. I walked away with a happy belly, and also a little heartburn.