Play tackles love and destiny

Marianna+Pitzer+gives+an+impassioned+speech+
Marianna Pitzer gives an impassioned speech

Anthony Martinez

Anthony Martinez

BreAnna Crawford

Watching the play “Constellations” was like watching the same movie multiple times with completely different outcomes as each scene plays out. It may sound like a drag to see the same scene over and over, but in each version something is subject to change, whether it’s a subtle or major difference such as a reaction to a question or a change in a character’s name.

That being said, if you watch the play without knowing the story behind it, you may be confused as the scenes are constantly looped with varying aspects over and over again, especially if you’re not paying close attention to what is being said.

“Constellations” had a small cast of two actors, Marianna Pitzer and Jonathan Ramos, playing characters named Marianne and Roland. The two characters put the audience through a rollercoaster of emotions as they watch their “love story” from different perspectives, endings and beginnings. The set is fairly simple with nothing but the two actors and a black box on stage, making it easier to keep the focus on the actors without the distraction of a large set. This stylistic choice is great when you have to pay attention to each scene word for word to notice what has changed.

There were also scenes with plenty of comedic humor that could make anyone laugh. Even scenes where characters crack bad jokes could make you chuckle a bit or put your head down and shake it in despair.

After a couple of go-arounds, viewers will begin to realize the play is based around string theory mixed in with a love story.

String theory is the idea that we as people live in a universe with at least 10 different dimensions or 10 different versions of ourselves. For example, in this dimension you are a student attending LMC who has a younger sibling, but in a another dimension you’re a doctor and now who once was your younger sibling may just be a patient of yours.

When you combine string theory and a love story together the outcomes can be limitless — which is exactly what this play explores. For the audience it often seemed like you were watching a movie unfold right in front of you.

“Constellations” had impeccable acting, plenty of jokes to laugh at and was an enjoyable show for all who attended. If you are into jokes about fire crotches or a sap for deep love and heartbreak stories then this play is for you.

For more plays like this, students can visit the Little Theater for information on upcoming plays and performances.