Review Crew: ‘Avengers: Infinity War’

Back to Article
Back to Article

Review Crew: ‘Avengers: Infinity War’

Brenna Enos, Jordan Neel, and A.R. Broom

Brenna says: 

“Avengers: Infinity War” has already surpassed its Marvel movie predecessors, not only in terms of grossing box office success, but in its content filled with more action, more character cross-overs and a shocking ending like we’ve never seen before. 

In this movie the Avengers, along with fellow super heroes such as the Guardians of the Galaxy, fight against Thanos, who is their biggest rival yet. Throughout the movie, the Avengers battle Thanos and his army in various locations across the universe, and engage in epic character crossovers.

The battle scenes will seriously have you sitting on the edge of your seat and the comedic aspect is a nice break between all of the intense action.

If you are unfamiliar with the previous Marvel movies, the characters and subplots may be confusing. However, the overall content is enjoyable for everyone and definitely worth seeing while in theatres.

Jordan says: 

“Avengers: Infinity War” further proves that the Marvel Cinematic Universe — that is now 19 movies in — can tell stories with multiple characters at once and be an amazing movie. The 10 years it took to build up for these 20 characters from “Iron Man” to “Black Panther” to “Guardians of the Galaxy,” to name a few going against their biggest threat, Thanos had me on the edge of my seat. Once the movie was over I wanted it to keep going. There is a great balance of humor and darkness that is needed in what could be considered the darkest MCU chapter. The one downside to the film, is that some characters aren’t on screen as much as I would like them to, yet putting all of them in the movie can be hard to do. It is definitely worth the price of admission, especially if you get a chance to see it in IMAX.

A.R. says:  

Six gallons of cameos in a five-gallon bucket, “Avengers: Infinity War” was almost that, with nearly every hero featured in the past 19 movies of the Marvel Cinematic Universe playing a role throughout the almost two and a half hour long movie.

As a whole, the movie was undeniably good, but with a budget so high, and so much hype around it, it certainly could have benefitted from another month or two of production. Parts of the film seemed too intrusive, such as the score lasting too long and some of the screenwriting’s awkward foreshadowing.

Having seen a little more than half of the previous movies, Marvel Studios did good to make the film, which has become a worldwide cultural phenomenon, easily understandable to those not in-the-know. The creators threw in some wonderful character groupings, and brought everyone together in the end for an interesting battle, but certainly left quite a lot to be desired on the empathy front. If you have yet to see it, and somehow have avoided spoilers, it might be worth going to if you’ve seen a handful or more of the others with satisfaction.

About the Writers
A.R. Broom, Copy Chief

"I'm a up and coming yuppie."
-Raphael Orlove