EOPS holds event on campus

Students+wait+in+line+during+the+EOPS%2C+CARE%2C+CalWORKS+days.+

Photo courtesy of Steven Freeman Jr.

Students wait in line during the EOPS, CARE, CalWORKS days.

Weston Hopkins, Editor-in-Chief

The Los Medanos College Extended Opportunity Programs and Services held EOPS, CARE, CalWORKs Days September 2 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and September 3 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the LMC campus. CARE is the Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education, and according to the LMC website it is meant to, 

“assist single parents who want to break the welfare dependency cycle by successfully completing college-level educational and training programs, and therefore, become more employable and economically self-sufficient.”

CalWORKs, the California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids Program, has a similar goal in mind. 

“CalWORKS funds assist parents who are receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Family (TANF), and those transitioning off welfare, to achieve long-term self-sufficiency through coordinated student services,” according to the LMC website.

EOPS, CARE, and CalWORKS students were required to RSVP so that the staff running the event could be properly prepared. 

“Over a two day period we had 221 students attend. Students were greeted when they arrived and instructed to keep six feet apart. There was one check in station which helped to streamline the process. The goal was to have students on and off campus as quickly and safely as possible,” wrote Steven Freeman Jr., the EOPS, CARE, and CalWORKs Manager. 

At the event, students were able to receive backpacks, wireless and wired earbuds, LMC T-shirts and hoodies as well as snacks and school supplies, such as notebooks, pens, pencils, and folders. On the second day of the event, the EOPS staff teamed up with the Food Pantry. 

“We handled the school supply and snack bag distribution while the Food Pantry team ensured that students were able to get groceries,” wrote Freeman. 

Students were also able to receive assistance with checking out necessities for classes such as Chromebooks, calculators, and textbooks from the library. 

To learn more about EOPS, CARE, and CalWORKS, or to find out when the next event is happening, please visit the LMC website for more information.