Students learn to tie for success

Charles Reed

Marques McCoy (left) teaching students Oryon Atualevao (center) and George Mills 3rd how to tie a tie.

Charles Reed, Staff Writer

In honor of Black History Month, Extended Opportunity Programs & Services held an event called “skills that tie in with success.” The event was held Feb. 13 in the library conference room L-109 from 2 to 3:30 p.m. and had a large turn out.

Regarding the event, Marques McCoy of EOPS said it was, “how to tie a tie,” and added the event was, “[meant] for job interview skills.”

McCoy also mentioned that it was the second annual event of its kind with plans to inspire Los Medanos College students, as well as invite students from local middle schools and high schools to create interest in attending LMC or other community colleges in order to further their education.

The conference room was busy with a big turnout. EOPS supplied free food to the attending students after the event, and a free tie to practice with. Steve Freeman, the EOPS/CARE Assistant Director began by saying that the event was meant to teach students some basic interview skills in hopes to see them succeed with their career goals.

Once the event got started, Freeman split the students from ones that knew how to tie a tie and those that wanted to learn, then paired them up. Turning it into interactive hands-on teaching that Freeman later commented saying, “it was my favorite part, students teaching students.”

Dr. Tanish M.J. Maxwell, the Vice President of Student Services, made a surprise visit and got involved with group teaching. Dr. Maxwell later commented that it was, “great to hear them [the students] talk about their educational goals.”

Along with great food and lively conversation, there was also a guest speaker to help. Bill Bankhead, Manager of Workforce and Economic Development was there to help teach participating students how to tie a tie.

The Workforce and Economic Development’s job on campus is to help students succeed with their educational goals. They also work with Career and Transfer Services in holding workshops and other events meant to help students.

“Our vision is that all LMC students are the preferred candidates for high-demand, high-wage careers because they have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to meet the current and future needs of the economy,” said Bankhead.

Bankhead had positive words to say about how the event drew the attention. He said,

“I was drawn to the event by the topics — tying a tie and networking — which are keys to success in many careers and are central to the employer relations part of my job. Wearing a tie isn’t required for every job, but knowing what is considered appropriate work clothes is critical in all fields for men and women alike.”