‘Reality Check’ brings laughs

Azi Carter, acarter@lmcexperience.com

Social justice issues affect everyone, by providing uncomfortable topics and individualized bias that prompts many heated discussions. “Reality Check” is that kind of play addressing those kinds of issues.

With creative excellence, the LMC Drama Department hit a home run at the California Theater for the shows opening night Dec. 6, delivering a satirical comedy to the audience — studded vignettes entertaining and enlightening mini plays that prompted thought and contemplation, particularly for those who came into the theater with preconceived notions about issues that confront everyone’s life.

“Reality Check” is guaranteed to tickle the funny bone of the most skeptic. The play centers on a board game that unleashes a broad spectrum of conversations throughout the production. Audience members get a glimpse of themselves through real life scenarios, which the actors give face and voice — the many voices include racial diversity, women’s rights and culture vs. religion.

“Reality Check” is informational with streamed media clips, which allowed the audience the ability to glean actual facts with statistics. The experience is interactive and educational, and dialogue confirms facts as they are delivered and played out on stage effectively tossing outdated preconceived notions and offering other perspectives with positive solutions.

Kahla Bulls portrays the genie from the board game, and does a remarkable job of keeping the audience on track as vignettes are assimilated before them.

Be prepared to leave the theatre with a sense of hope and pride as the cast debunks even the harshest critics rhetoric on social justice issues confronting our society today.

This portion of the LMC Civic Engagement Series raised the bar with the inclusion of an art exhibit with “sharpie” drawings depicting social justice issues via a visual medium done by LMC art students.

The play will continue showing Dec. 8 and 9 at 7 p.m. General Admission is $15, $12 with student ID/Military ID and $10 for those with middle school or high school IDs. The Caifonia Theatre Box Office is located at 351 Railroad Ave Pittsburg, CA 94565, (925) 427-11611 www.pittsburgcaliforniatheatre. Box office is open Tuesday through Friday from noon to 5 p.m.and one hour before showtime.