LMC sets up emergency fund

LMC sets up emergency fund

Weston Hopkins, Staff Writer

Los Medanos College has created the LMC COVID-19 Student Emergency Fund to help students who have been impacted by the COVID-19 virus pandemic. 

As this situation was unexpected and unlike anything formerly dealt with, LMC started the fund in the hopes of creating stability for students who are struggling during the pandemic, whether that be helping a student purchase a laptop, getting WiFi, or any other essential needs during these trying times.

LMC has partnered with Network for Good to make sure that all donations go through properly. 

According to Network for Good’s website,“Network for Good’s nonprofit donor-advised fund uses the Internet and mobile technology to securely and efficiently distribute thousands of donations from donors to their favorite charities each year.”

As students are getting laid off or have had their hours dramatically reduced, making ends meet can get more difficult the longer the situation persists. Combine that with the fact that internet access and the technology needed to go along with that are crucial right now, the stress can potentially be overbearing to students.

The LMC Foundation sent out an email that said, “this challenging life situation will, in all likelihood, lead LMC students to drop out of college. Our goal is to raise $100,000 by August 31, 2020, in order to provide  financial support lifeline to our students.”

LMC hopes that the community can come together during this challenging time and help one-another out.  

“Ultimately, successful LMC students return these investments by bolstering our workforce and improving our East Contra Costa County community,” wrote the LMC Foundation.

To help those that are struggling and make a donation, please visit https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/donatetolmc