Earth Day creates buzz

LMC clubs table for green causes

Vanessa Flores and Carlos Ruiz

Los Medanos College had an eventful Wednesday April 19, as they hosted an Earth Day festival in the outdoor quad.

There were many tables set up throughout the quad, with different clubs from both LMC and local green organizations and vendors.

Clubs like Honors, PUENTE, Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS), Sierra Club, First Generation Farmers and the Mt. Diablo Beekeepers Association were all in attendance to share ways students could help the environment.

The LMC Sustainability Committee, who is dedicated in informing students and staff about campus sustainability activities, hosted the event. According to the LMC website, the committee researches effective practices of sustainability which are replicable at LMC and they develop, implement and assess sustainability activities on campus.

The Sustainability Committee put together environmental games and activities —Nature Preserve guided walks and a Native Plant sale.“Our message is to have everyone learn about the Earth and it’s resources. Part of what we want everyone to understand about our Earth could be impacted not only by environmental injustice but how it can be prevented,” said Co-Chair of the Sustainability Committee, Briana McCarthy.

“Earth day is a great way to know what’s good for the earth and to prevent global warming from happening,” said Puente President, Brianna Orozco. “It is also a cool way to learn cool information about the earth and also gives you something to think about.”

Gerardo Lopez, a SACNAS member, brought his 2016 Tesla to the event to promote the importance of using a clean air car.

“I wanted to inspire people to drive electric cars because it will bring more clean energy for the earth,” said Lopez. “Climate change isn’t going to get any better so to do something would help.”

Justin Okodogbe, a Biology student at LMC, had a table with information on the importance of recycling and a beer pong-esque game to show how plants work.

“The ping pong balls represent nitrogen and phosphorus and the cups are the soil, because both gases are needed to grow plants. Contamination sometimes goes in the soil and kills off the plants,” said Okodogbe.

Celena Lozana, member of the Sustainability Committee, said the significance of the event was to bring awareness about environmental issues and to teach students how to be “more sustainable and help make our everyday lives more environmentally stable.”

Earth Day will be celebrated April 22 across the country with marches, events and activities.