It was a day of enlightenment

Transfer information provided to LMC students

Adria Watson

Students explore their options during Transfer Day Tuesday, Oct. 25 in the indoor quad.

Andrew Gonzalez and Brooke Samson, Staff Writers

Conversations about the next step in the transfer process filled Level Three of the College Complex as Transfer Day unfolded at Los Medanos College Tuesday, Oct. 25. More than 50 colleges attended, including those from the University of California and California State University systems, as well as private colleges, both in state and out of state, all providing students the chance to weigh their options for where they may want to continue their education after LMC.
Representatives from each college participated in an effort to educate LMC students about the process of transferring and the benefits of each institution.
Students were also able to get specific questions answered on the spot, which at times can be difficult in an online search for transfer information.
“It’s good to get face-to-face communication,” said LMC student Michael Mustafa. “I gained a lot of info based on unique questions, which makes the prospect of transferring more manageable.”
With all of the colleges on deck, many students realized they are not limited to just a few transfer possibilities. LMC student Genaro Mauricio said the abundance of schools tabling at the event helped everyone in attendance “visualize the opportunities available to them.”
In fact, many students were seen lingering at the event, wandering by tables multiple times, likely to ensure they would not miss out any of the information available.
Aside from the reputation, U.C. Berkeley admissions officer Violeta Bermudez-Estrella noted one thing that may draw students is that “Decal classes are really interesting. They are one-unit student-led classes on topics such as Harry Potter and Game of Thrones.”
Ray Nawabi, an admissions adviser for Cogswell College, noted something students may be drawn to is “Hands-on project based learning, along with small classes.”
Nawabi added he was there for a reason some colleges may not have been — to “spread awareness, we’ve been around for over 130 years, but no one really knows about us.”
For more well known colleges, the event granted representatives the chance to speak with students they may have had communication with in the past.
“This is a chance to reconnect with students I’ve already talked with, and tell people Saint Mary’s is within reach,” said Angelica Moore, director of transfer recruitment.
Finding out what is within reach is important to students, especially from a financial standpoint. Christine Osiuhwu and Noelle Delcueto, both agreed they came to “get more info on tuition rates to make sure if I can afford them.”
The two LMC students shared their ideas on how to improve the event as well. “Every CSU should come to the event,” said Delcueto, with Osiuhwu adding the event “should be all day.”
Transfer Service Coordinator Rachel Anicetti, who helped coordinate the event, was busy addressing student questions as she moved from table to table to see how things were going.
“I think our attendance is very high today. We gauge our success by whether or not the students are getting anything out of the event,” she said. “We do two fairs per year, this is the biggest fair. The other one is in the second week of spring.”
LMC student Wendy Zelaya said Transfer Day was a defining factor in helping her begin to identify a school to attend when she is ready to transfer. She said she appreciated that transfer representatives were willing to “be open and explain what they have to offer,” and added that she plans to attend a future Transfer Day event to help narrow her options as she gets closer to transferring.
Expanding students’ perspectives is what Doris Fendt, Community College Outreach Coordinator for San Francisco State University, strives to do. For her, the most important part of Transfer Day is dispelling misconceptions students have about SFSU.
“It gives me an opportunity to educate them, to be kind of a myth buster. Many students don’t even apply to San Francisco State thinking that they will never get in because their major is impacted but I want them to know is that impaction does not mean impossible.”